Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obscure Jimmy Stewart Movies



I think they're having a Jimmy Stewart merathon on VCM, except they're only playing the dumb ones or the ones no one has ever heard of. But I've been ill, so I've been watching all of them! Hooray!



The Mortal Storm (****) -- an amazing movie about a family escaping from Nazi Germany on skis. It was kind of depressing, as the whole reason it was written was to get the Americans to join the war (so, obviously, the war wasn't over at the time of filming), and it made me cry, but I thought it was BRILLIANT -- and I hate Nazi stories.

Dear Bridgitt (*) -- This one was really, incredibly stupid. Stewart's character was funny, as he played a ditsy poet who "sends his father candies on Mother's Day", but otherwise it was a complete waist of two hours (not that I would have done anything more constructive with those two hours...)

The Naked Spur (***) -- A weird role for Stewart, as he played a gun-waving bounty hunter, but I actually enjoyed this one. It was a Western (as you may have guessed from the title), and it was kind of weird, because for the first half one guy was the star of the show, and then in the second half he just sort of stopped being important and we focused on the other guy. Which was kind of depressing, as I'd rather liked the first hero (who wasn't actually a hero... of course!) Anyways, this one was fun, even though it lacked much of a point.

The Gorgeous Hussy (*) -- Oh, I suppose this one deserves more than one star, but I thought it was really depressing. Jimmy Stewart wasn't an important character, just a friend of the heroine who proposed to her a couple times (he hadn't a chance). In the beginning there were three guys -- one who wanted to marry her, one who flirted with her constantly, and one she was in love with who was at least ten years older than she (if not more). I was kind of rooting for the flirt, but then she actually ended up with him, which made me mad (because that's the kind of logic I have). But it was all good, because they only got one night to-gether and then he DIED. And so then she finally gets engaged to the guy she was actually in love with, but, because of politics, they seperate, so she goes off and marries some other guy to make her uncle happy. And then the guy she was in love with (who, by this point, two hours later, I was madly in love with as well) DIED and they all lived happily ever after. The end. No joke, that was pretty much the entire movie, minus some politics. It was very depressing.



There might have been more. I've been so out of it, I'm surprised I remember that much. So ... those were my fun Jimmy Stewart movies. Tee-hee!



-Captain Whitney

Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.

1 comment:

Candice said...

I'm so glad to hear about "The Mortal Storm"! Hope you're feeling better. :)