Monday, October 05, 2009

History vs. Fiction



So, I'm taking a break from History right now (I've been doing the class for an hour), and I just wanted to comment on how REDICULOUS History class is. I mean, come on -- they think that the thing in this picture has some sort of religious purpose. You could find something identical to that in your local junk yard!

I hope some day, when we're in Heaven, we get to look down on the archeologists who are figuring out what OUR junk means (The Doctor says that he hates archeologists ... which I thought was funny, considering who he is....). I look forward to the chance to laugh at the silly humans who have no idea what they're talking about.

Written records I will believe (with a grain of salt -- every writer has their own opinion that taints their view), but the analyzing of junk seems WAY too imprecice to me -- it's all guess work.

Really, I think fiction is the only way to truly tell the truth. I've been thinking about this a lot lately -- I mean, fiction is the only thing that comes out and admits: I'm not true, and I'm clouded by opinion. Only when that is stated can you then sift through what is being said and find the real message behind it. The book I am writing right now is about a different planet where the people have magic powers -- but it is also a very strong message about agency. In fact, I keep getting prompted to write this book while doing things like watching conference and reading scriptures.

Mostly, I guess I needed somewhere to complain about the stupidity of History class, but now I should go back to actually studying... Sigh. But GUESS WHAT!!! I'm not failing History any more! SWEET! Almost as sweet as pineapple!

♥/Captain Whitney

I didn't lie, I just created fiction with my mouth.

5 comments:

K'neth S. said...

Yeah go Kat!e! you write your book. that will be an awesome book. anyways, your are so right, history is a very imprecise and guessed bit of a subject! unlike math. there are rules, and everything will turn out the same.

Captain Whitney said...

Yeah, but math is boring.Literature is the only thing really worth studying :D

K'neth S. said...

i like math. it comes easier. not like, (shudder and turn dramaticallyu to the camera with a scared and pained look on face) ...chemistry!!! dun dun duuun!!! anyways. do you golf? really!!! i love to golf. we should go sometime. it is a lot of fun. anyways, you never called. i waited, but we wouldn't have been able to do anything. hey, what are you doing the second weekend in november? maybe we could all meet at one of the stake dances out here. sorry this weekend was a floppideedoo! stay purple!

Captain Whitney said...

I'm REALLY bad at golf, but I love it! We should really go some time, that would be SOO much fun! Maybe you could help me? Somehow, I always manage to get as far off the fairway as humanly possible (not to mention as close to the point I started from -- I don't hit very hard). You should tell me when the stake dances are, and I will be there! I'll call you later -- sorry I spaced out, I ended up not going to my grandma's. FAIL.

Captain Whitney said...

P.S. I'll stay purple if you stay green!